Without the trouble of getting pregnant twice, having two babies at once is the desire of many women. Of course this comes with its disadvantages, such as caring for two babies at once may be burdensome when considering time, money and care. Although there are no guarantees, there are both natural and medical methods that can increase the chance of falling pregnant with multiples.
Here are some stats before we get to the natural ways women may attempt to get pregnant with twins. As noted by Trimister Talk,
- The average woman has a 3% chance of conceiving twins.
- Statistically, African women have a higher chance of conceiving twins, while Asian women have a lower chance.
- Having four or more babies drastically increases the chances of twins in future pregnancies.
- Identical twins can happen to anyone; fraternal twins usually run in the maternal side as hyper-ovulation often runs in families. You can read more about the causes of hyper-ovulation, here.
Here are five natural ways to try if you want to get pregnant with twins.
1. Dairy – Studies have shown women who consume a lot of dairy are more likely to conceive twins. This is believed to be due to Insulin-like Growth Factor (IGF) in cows and possibly some of the hormones they have administered to them. [Study]
2. Folate – It is revealed by studies that women who have folate (folinic acid is preferable to the man made folic acid) have a 40% increase in twin pregnancies, although this appears to be more particularly aimed at women who’ve had IVF.
3. Age – Older women produce higher amounts of FSH (follicle stimulating hormone) which increases the chance of dropping multiple eggs. However fertility rates also go down as women age, so waiting too long can also lower the chances of falling pregnant at all.
2. Cassava – This African variant of sweet potato is believed to cause hyperovulation and increase the chance of multiples. Cassanovum, is the one I chose to purchase after researching the many brands available. It’s made using the most potent part of the plant, contains folate and has a variety of other herbs to help with pregnancy.
5. Hyperovulation – Hyperovulation occurs when a woman’s ovaries release more than one egg during each cycle. This can increase the chance of fraternal twins, triplets or more. It’s possible for hyperovulation to happen in just one ovary, or involve the release of more than one egg from each ovary. When two or more eggs drop during ovulation. This can happen due to genetics, menopause, age, taking cassava and a range of other hormonal reasons.